Tuesday, January 24, 2012

She's Here!

When I was pregnant with my other two kids, I could not wait to hit the end of the pregnancy. I was SO ready! With the munchkin, I felt like I was dragging a bowling ball around my crotch for about six weeks before she came. This time, however, I was not ready at all! In terms of preparation, there was little for me to do aside from getting organized and washing the clothes, plus with all the doctor appointments and unknowns, it was easy to push the preparation off for a while. Then, we hit the holiday season and with two little kids, shopping, pageants, and visiting family, time seemed to fly by. Thankfully, I was not "ready" to kick the baby out until just a week or two before our due date. We wanted to her to develop as much as possible in utero even more than the others!

My OB scheduled our induction for five days before the due date, and thankfully my cervix progressed enough on its own that we did not have to go in the night before for the cervadil. We arrived at 7:30, dilated to about 3cm, and by 8:30 I was getting the pitocin. Around 12:30, I had only made it to 4cm, but the baby was down, so the OB broke my water. Over the next couple hours, I layed on each side, got the epidural, and barely made any progress. I could not progess past 5cm. We were having some issues with the baby's heartbeat, where we were having "lates" instead of "earlies" - basically the heartbeat should drop during contractions (early), but our baby's heartbeat was dropping after contractions (late). So, the OB decided to put a couple of monitors on the baby directly, one to measure her heartbeat since she was not staying in place for the monitor to keep good track of the heartbeat and a second to measure the strength of the contractions. Turns out, the baby was bouncing up and down and would not really lock into place. So, they pumped my uterus full of fluid to "float" the baby back up hoping she would re-engage. The nurse left saying she would give it about 30 minutes before checking me again so we wouldn't be disappointed if I was still at 5cm.

Not 10 minutes later, I looked at my husband and said "I think the nurse should check again", so he ran out to get the nurse. She lifted the blanket, took one look, and said, "no need to check, I can see your baby's head!" Then, she called another nurse to help her prep the room, the doctor to rush over, and the neonatologist. When the OB came in, she said she wanted to wait for neonatology, but that the baby was coming quick so I was not allowed to sneeze, cough, or laugh! As soon as neonatology arrived, I gave it one good push, and voila! Baby!!!

Margaret ("Maggie") Catherine
Born January 17, 2012 at 5:44pm
6 pounds 15.5 ounces
19 inches


Thanks for listening!
~Erin

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations to you!!!! What a pretty baby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea she was 16 lbs.!!! I get it, it's a typo. Haha. Love her. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. good catch!
    ETA: Baby was 6lbs NOT 16!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was gonna say - cracking under pressure takes on a whole new meaning with that baby!!

    ReplyDelete