Friday, January 22, 2010

Skin Issues

I have dermatitis, specifically, eyelid dermatitis.  It started when I was pregnant with the baby and since giving birth I have random flare ups, but it is not a big deal.  I saw the dermatologist when pregnant, got medication to put on the spots, and it worked like a charm.  Until I got pregnant with the baby I miscarried.  The flare ups have been happening with more frequency and are not responding to the medication.  I also started itching and noticing small bumps on my forearms and chest/neck area (right where I put perfume). 

After my husband started lovingly referring to my issues as my "flesh eating skin disease" and threatened to kick me out of bed until I figured out what was going on, I called the dermatologist.  The stars must have been aligning yesterday because I had a terrible flare up and the dermatologist had an opening!  As soon as I closed my eyes he said "your eyelids are all torn up!".  Turns out, my dermatitis is in bad shape and I need to get a different medication.  As for my arms and chest, it looks like I developed Acute Contact Dermatitis.  I need to put the medication on the spots, and stop wearing perfume.  Indefinitely!  As for my face, I have to use the medication/ointment twice daily and put Vaseline on at night.  Not Vaseline Intensive Care, not Vaseline face moisturizer, but Vaseline Petroleum Jelly.  For the next month, until all my dermatitis is cleared up, I will be greasing myself up with some Vaseline.  That's hot!

Hopefully in a month I can reintroduce moisturizer face cream and then makeup.  Sometime after that, I may be able to try perfume again.  I am thinking I'll just buy some flowery skirts and let my armpit hair grow out.  All natural, baby!

1 comment:

  1. awww that must be tough. I hope it clears up for you soon!

    ReplyDelete